Frequently Asked Questions

At College Sherpa we believe that each student deserves a quality college education in his/ her area of interest. We open your mind to the immense quality options available to study abroad. We are Counsellors and your interest comes first. We Counsel on What Fits You, Not Force Fits You!

With our experience in the field of education and counselling we have completely rethought the approach to applying for studying abroad using technology as an enabler. We ensure that each student gets personalised, high quality counselling advice at a fraction of the usual cost. All this from the comfort of their home or college and not just in the big cities of the country!We will not mislead you by suggesting that it is an easy process (is getting into a good Indian college any easier?!). Our proprietary tracker helps you maintain a time-based, systematic approach with alerts that simplify the process of making an application. Your supportive personal Counsellor provides you required inputs all along the way.

You can easily apply for sherpa college, You Just go to

Click on "Get Started" and Registered with us. 

Right now MycolegeSherpa provides data for Colleges in five countries i.e. USA, UK, Canada, Australia and singapore.

There are a variety of colleges for different areas of interest.

Undergraduate programs, (bachelor four-year degree or an associate two-year degree), are available after the 12th grade. These undergraduate degrees lead to the masters, which further lead to doctoral degrees.


Masters is usually a two-year degree program in which you may choose a specialization. It could be completed in a year or a year-and-a-half depending upon your capacity for work. Doctorate is usually a five to eight-year program following the masters program and leads to a Ph. D. degree that signifies that the student is a qualified research scholar and can lead to a career in teaching.  Some of the universities offer a combined masters and Ph.D. program also.

An international student can work at campus job for up to twenty hours per week with the permission of the International Student Office and may apply for off-campus jobs in the subsequent years.


State or public colleges and universities receive funds from the state governments which helps these institutions to impart higher education to the students belonging to that state at a low cost.  For this reason, these colleges and universities attract a large number of a wide diversity of students.  However, international and students from other states are required to pay higher tuition fees than the in-state students, that is, the students of the home state of the university.


The private colleges and universities raise the necessary funds from endowments from wealthy individuals, gifts from their alumni, research grants from corporations, and tuition fees.  Therefore, the tuition fees tend to be higher than those charged by the state universities.  The in-state and out-of-state students pay the same fee without distinction.  For this reason, private universities attract fewer students and are smaller than the public universities.


With a great many degrees, courses and universities to choose from, making the right choice is very difficult.  To help you narrow it down to the best options for you, we offer you access the complete database of the universities in the USA to choose from by using the parameters according to your need.  For this you must register with

For the purpose of the visa interview, the amount of educational loan stated in the bank’s loan sanction letter is treated as funds available to you like the balances in your accounts.  The amount should be enough to fill the shortfall and make up to 1.2 to 1.5 times of the I-20 amount.


However, the entire I-20 amount should not be covered by loan amount.  At least 20% to 30% of the necessary amount must come from your sponsor’s resources.


If the university is an expensive one, you may apply for a large loan to show sufficient funds for two years of study at the visa interview.  However, a large part of the amount must come from your own resources. 


If the amount of the loan is large, obviously the repayment EMI also will be large.  Therefore, the sponsor must have a large income to show that the EMI can be paid comfortably. In any case, the loan amount, even a small one of Rs. 15 lakh, needs an annual income of Rs 7 lakh to be shown in three years’ income tax returns of the sponsors.  Therefore, while applying for an educational loan, if you wish to include it in your financial resources for the visa interview, keep these points in your mind.

The Form I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status”, is prescribed by the US Department of Homeland Security under the ‘Student & Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP).  It is issued by the schools and universities specified under SEVP.  The issuance of the I-20 form puts the fact of the student having been accepted into the issuing university/college/technical training institute on the Student & Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) and each student is recorded under a SEVIS ID number and the school code.  This makes the tracking of the international students possible for the US government.


More importantly, from the students’ point of view, having the I-20 form is the essential condition for applying for the U.S. student visa F-1, F-2, M-1 and M-2.

OPT is one year period during which undergraduate and graduate students with F-1 visa who have been pursuing their degrees for more than nine months or those have graduated can work in the USA on their F1 visa.  They do not need H1B visa for working.  This period is of 12 months for those who are studying non-STEM programs (programs that are not categorized as STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics).  The students who are pursuing or have graduated from STEM programs have the option of having their OPT extended by further 24 months, making it a total of 36 months.


Though a limited OPT is available also for M-1 visa students, generally OPT is understood as applicable to F-1 students.

Besides tests of English language proficiency (TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE Academic), international students are required to take:

  • SAT Reasoning Test: The SAT Reasoning Test measures critical thinking skills and assesses how well you analyze and solve problems. The test entails critical reading, mathematics and writing.


  • SAT Subject Tests: SAT Subject tests measure knowledge in specific subject areas. Many competitive US colleges and universities either require or recommend one or more SAT Subject test scores for admission or scholarship consideration. Some colleges specify which subject tests you must take while others leave the option up to you.


  • ACT: The ACT measures English, mathematics, reading and science reasoning. The optional writing test measures skill in planning and writing a short essay. The ACT is an alternative to taking SAT Reasoning and Subject tests.

There is no ‘official’ ranking system in US but there are several unofficial organizations such as US News and Princeton Review that rank the universities on criteria selected by each of them.  Ranking of a university or college gives you the idea about the quality of its teaching and other essential institutional qualities.  While choosing your universities, place importance on the criteria that you think are important for achieving your academic goals, such as the class size, teacher to student ratio, the quality of instruction, student counseling, faculty access and opportunities for research, internships, campus activities, etc.


Having selected a few universities from among about 4,500 universities on the basis of the ranking and their SAT/ACT and other score requirements, decide upon eight to twelve universities that fit some basic criteria selected by you, such as the cost, the aptness of the course content for your purpose, the balance between academics and extra-curricular activities and any other criteria.  Take the counselor guidance to refine your selection.

F visa:

  • F-1 visas for full-time students.
  • F-2 visas for dependents of F-1 visa holders (spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21). This includes same-sex married couples.


M visa:

  • M-1 visas for students engaging in vocational or non-academic studies.
  • M-2 visas for dependents of M-1 visa holders (as in F-2 visas).

J visa

  • J-1 visas for exchange students on a relevant exchange program.
  • J-2 visas for dependents of J-1 visa holders (as for F-2 visas)


Derivative visas

Holders of F-2, M-2 and J-2 visas are also allowed to study in the US provided they meet their chosen institution’s criteria. They do not have to apply for an F-1, M-1 or J-1 visa, but can apply if qualified.


J-2 visa holders can enroll as recreational or degree-seeking students, either full- or part-time, and discontinue their program at any time. They can also petition for a change to F-1 student status if they haven’t completed their academic program by the time the principle J-1’s status has ended. However, this is only if the J-1 visa holder is not subject to the two-year home residency requirement.


F-2 and M-visa holders are not allowed to work, and must secure an appropriate work visa if seeking employment. J-2 visa holders may request work authorization from USCIS by submitting form I-765.


B-2 visa is for a visitor for pleasure (tourist), which a student’s parents will need to meet the student in the USA and attend the student’s graduation.  Some parents may have B-1 or business visa, which will be useful for visiting the student.

My College Sherpa
My College Sherpa